Thursday, March 12, 2009

Number 9

9. Reel Big Fish

I love ska. Having to include a ska band in my top ten was easy. Deciding on my favorite was NOT an easy task. For real- I've got the likes of Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, and The Bosstones on the brain, and that's just the beginning. And while LTJ was a very close second choice, I think I like RBF a little more.

Think of the great albums: Turn the Radio Off, Why Do They Rock So Hard?, and Cheer Up!, just to touch the surface. Everyone knows "Sell Out", and it extends so much deeper than that. (Is that what she said?) They've done covers, from Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" to the ever-popular "Take on Me" (from the Basketball soundtrack).

We can dissect this by album. TTRO has hits like "Beer" and "Everything Sucks". And I think "Where Have You Been?" was a radio hit from Cheer Up! (This album also has a lot of really funny and sweet tracks.) But I do have to say that Why Do They Rock So Hard? is by far my favorite. "She's Famous Now" is so dance worthy, it's not funny. Especially with that first line "I've got the measles, she's got the mumps". Other favorites: "Somebody Hates Me", "I Want Your Girlfriend to be My Girlfriend", and "The Kids Don't Like It".

Missing something?

Yes. It's called the best RBF song ever: "The Set Up (You Need This)". Rocks from beginning to end without a doubt. And the lyrics are killer. And if you don't know every line, shame on you.

End transmission 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment