Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ben's Top 5 All-Time Red Hot Chili Peppers Songs

What a task this is. First, RHCP is one of my top 5 all-time bands. The others include (in no particular order): Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, and a few others, but that is not what this post is about. This post is about a debate with Janelle of the best Chili songs. I suppose I'll start with #5. I'll also put in some honorable mentions, and I'll touch on their best albums briefly. So, without further ado....

5th best RHCP song of all-time is: Me and My Friends - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (1987) (By the way, all the links are clickable to listen to the song on Grooveshark)

So, this choice was directly influenced by Janelle, who recently helped get me closer to finishing my Peppers collection (I'm still missing their first, self-titled album and all the greatest hits). TUMPP was the Chili's 3rd effort, and is a great album. It really started to establish them as a major player on the Rock scene, and definitely helped create the rap/rock sub-genre. I highly recommend this album and specifically this song to anyone.

4th best RHCP song of all-time is: Fortunt Faded - Greatest Hits (2003)

This song choice is simpy based on a groove factor. It's got the classic, heavy, awesome bass line, along with a great mix of guitar that personifies the Peppers. Also, one of the most important factors I base my opinions on is of course, singability (I really want to make some kind of graphic like those new Bud Light ads have right here about what "singability" means, but alas, I don't have enough time). Singability is simply how easy is it to sing along with the song.

3rd best RHCP song of all-time is: Hard to Concentrate - Stadium Arcadium (2007)

Now, this is a song that has obviously not stood the test of time, yet. This song is on the list for many of the same reasons as the last song. A great bass line, awesome guitars, and very singable. I really think I love the rhyme scheme of this one, as well as it seems there is a lot of meaning behind the song, which always makes a song better. The interlude about halfway through the song is, in my opinion (like anything in this post isn't my opinion) the classic RHCP guitar sound that made them famous. Enjoy this song and this album.

2nd best RHCP song of all-time is: Universally Speaking - By The Way (2002)

I think that the thing I love so much about this song is the cadence he uses, especially in the chorus. The other thing that is so attractive about this song, and most of the songs on this list, is that they weren't radio hits. That always makes me like a song a lot more, when I "discover" it (more about that in the "honorable mention" category later). Another awesome thing about this song is that it is an atypical Chili song, meaning that all the reasons the other songs are listed aren't necessarily true about this song.

Now, before I get to the epitome of the Peppers, I will talk briefly about some honorable mentions and my favorite albums.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

The Zephyr Song - Just an awesome rhythm, beat and ryhme.
Minor Thing - Also has great cadence and gets back into more of the rap/rock thing.
One Big Mob - One for the fans. Literally, they wrote it for their fans. Also, it features Dave Navarro's kid crying in the middle of it. Definite party song.
Snow (Hey Oh) - I heard, listened repeatedly and knew this song before it was ever played ont he radio. I just love the guitar riff. Fantastic song (great video too).
Knock Me Down - This is a fantastic song on it's own, but the fact that it is written about and dedicated to the memory of their original guitarist, Hillel Slovak, makes it that much better. Apparently, him and Keidis were way too into heroin, and it killed him. Bummer.

Best Albums:

3 - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

This is simply because the whole album is just rockin. It established them as a major player, and is well worth your time and money.

2 - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

This is one big song broken into 17 tracks. There is no better album to listen to on a great summer day with the windows down and the stereo cranked. None of the individual tracks have been mentioned, some because they are overplayed, and some because its hard to pick just one. You have to own this album, no collection is complete without it.

1 - By The Way

This choice may surprise some people, but if you have noticed, almost half the songs have made the blog. This is just all-around a great album. It was quite a commercial success, but that doesn't take away from its greatness. In an odd side note, I'm pretty sure the band wasn't terribly impressed or happy with the album. The sound does definitely go a different way than you have come to expect from the Chilis, but again, its a great album.

Without any further ado ....

The best Red Hot Chili Peppers song of All-Time is:


Walkabout - One Hot Minute (1995)

This song has it all. Groovin' bass line. Classic guitar. Great vocals, lyrics and rythm. This is simply the most chillin song I have ever heard by anyone. The other thing that Janelle will get upset because I haven't mentioned it until now, is the album placement. Where is comes on the album. It transitions the album from the uber-rockin One Big Mob to the ballad Tearjerker. Song 8, where a lot of bands try to hide the albums best song. Just a great all-around song.

I hope you have enjoyed my opinions, and thank you for reading. Have a uberiffic week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment